Sunday, December 11, 2011

We have spent the past few weeks reading and discussing Ceremony. I can honestly say I have never read anything remotely similar to this novel.  I am particularly fascinated by Native American story-telling techniques and how Leslie Marmon Silko weaves them into her book.  The idea that the blank spaces in the  novel are silence, meant to give the reader time to think gives me a whole new perspective on the story.  It also helps me to understand which parts of the novel are most important.  The most significant parts tend to have more "silence" around them, giving the reader plenty of time to think about them.  The novel also gives me insight into a culture that I really had very little previous knowledge  about.  I don't think we have ever gone that in-depth into any Native cultures in school, let alone Laguna.  Overall, I am really enjoying our time spent on this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment