Sunday, October 9, 2011

10/9/11
In the past few weeks, we have learned a lot about comedy.  In particular, one of the prompts we practiced writing with made us contemplate the concept of "thoughtful laughter".  This made me wonder what exactly it is that makes us laugh at anything.  Sure, there is the obvious "we laugh because something is funny".  But there are many different types of funny.  For example, Albee's The American Dream is so funny because it so absurd.  We find it ridiculous, because we laugh.  Now I am much more conscious about WHY I laugh when I do.  Additionally, we have done a lot more practice writing recently.  When we learned about how to write an essay, it didn't seem so difficult.  However, now that we are forced to actually write open prompts, they become much more difficult.  I do think this will make me become a better writer though, as learning by doing is one of the best ways to learn.  From this practice, my writing will improve not only in AP Literaturem but in my other classes as well. 

1 comment:

  1. I think that in the beginning it seemed easier to respond to prompts because we were so oblivious of how in depth we could go into a piece of literature.
    Also, that is a great question: Why do we laugh at certain points. I will definitely be pondering that question for the next few days.

    ReplyDelete